Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Best By Far Is You.


Today is Mother's Day, and I am feeling so blessed. Mr. DeYoung spoiled me this weekend with the most beautiful vase of fresh flowers, a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries, and a darling bracelet to remember my first "official" Mother's Day.

Yesterday morning we saw extended family from my mom's side, and I absolutely loved showing off our little Oliver to our cousins, aunts, and uncles. We spent the rest of the day with Mom Paxman, visiting together and mostly relaxing for the day. Mom opened her gifts from us, and we all reveled in what an amazing woman she is. Then we grilled steak and ate fresh fruit and pasta salad, and the entire day was just lovely.

Today Ollie and I attended church for the first time since his birth. I felt so grateful sitting next to my sweet husband and darling son as we worshiped and prayed. We listened to two fantastic talks about motherhood today, and I walked away from the meeting with a beautiful little pink geranium that was given to me in celebration of the holiday. 

Later this afternoon we ate dinner with Mom DeYoung and the rest of Kyle's family. We listened to exciting stories from his parents' trip to Europe, ate some Apple Danish, and laughed over the dinner table. We watched Mom DeYoung open her gifts and reveled some more (we are blessed with such amazing Moms on both sides of our families!) and visited for hours in the living room together.

In the evening we saw Kyle's extended family on his Mom's side. We doted on Oliver with more of our relatives, ate delicious ice cream floats, and enjoyed the springtime evening air. Then we returned home and rocked our sweet baby boy to sleep as we reflected on the amazing weekend we were so blessed to enjoy.

It was a wonderful holiday, filled with the kind of happiness that leaves your heart feeling just so full. Mother's Day is now so significant to me, and I cannot be more grateful for the lovely holiday we had.

A year ago on Mother's Day, I lost my first baby. Miscarrying -- and on such a special holiday -- was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced.

Last year, I never would have thought that today I'd be holding my sweet little Oliver in my arms. To become pregnant, miscarry, get pregnant again, and give birth to our Oliver in just over a year truly is a miracle. What an amazing journey. Now on every Mother's Day, I will always reflect and think about the other baby I have who watches over our little family from Heaven. Remembering our angel baby is the greatest reminder to me that families really are forever.

I also have to mention how much I love being Oliver's mom. He really is the little rainbow after the storm, and he came to our family at the perfect time. Ollie and I have been through a lot together in the last month, and I have grown to love this little boy more than life itself. Between him and my Sweet Husband, I'm convinced I have the world.

Thank you Oliver, for blessing Mommy with the opportunity to experience a love more visceral and pure than I have ever known. You are the sweetest boy I know, and there are no adequate words to express just how blessed I feel to be your Mom. When I look down at you in my arms, my heart explodes. For all the things my hands have held, the best by far is you.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful Mother tribute to three moms. You are a such a sweet mommy to little Oliver. He is so blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete