Friday, July 7, 2017

Independence Day.



Sister Mary from the ward said it right.

"We love The Fourth of July so much that we call it
The Fourth of Ju-Christmas!"

Oh, how true!
This holiday has always been my favorite.

We woke up slowly on Tuesday morning, savoring the time we had together and relaxing in bed. Ollie and I always look forward to those rare mornings when Mr. DeYoung gets to sleep in with us. When it was time to get ready, you can bet we were excited to put on our patriotic garb for the day! We especially love Ollie's star romper we purchased this year. (Insert all of the heart-eye emojis here).

The parade started at 11:00 am. Kyle and I have never been to our city parade before (we usually drive to one of our parents' city parades every year), and we had a good time sitting at the curb with Ollie in the stroller as the cars and floats passed by. Kyle and I loved the excitement of it all, but Oliver really didn't like the sound of the sirens and horns. It was also pretty hot and crowded on the sidewalk, so we didn't stay the entire duration of the parade. I think the parade will be more fun next year when we have a child who actually somewhat-understands what's happening in front of him. ;)

We stopped at home for a bit when we left the parade, and then it was off to Kyle's Parents' Home for their annual Fourth of July Crepes! Eating crepes with the DeYoung family has probably become one of my favorite Fourth of July traditions, second only to the firework show we see every year. I just can't get enough of that cream cheese/cottage cheese filling that Jana makes!

After we'd had our fill of crepes, We drove to my parents' house for the remainder of the holiday. "Grandma"/Mom Paxman watched Oliver while Kyle and I went out for snow cones with my siblings. I've mentioned before that Hokulia Shaved Ice is one of our favorite summer treats... and to me, The Fourth of July is the epitome of all things summer! Enjoying a cup of my Blue Hawaii shaved ice was definitely a highlight for the day.

Upon returning from our shaved ice outing, we all sat at the dinner table and played our newest favorite board game, "Say Anything". Then Mom Paxman made a delicious array of summer foods for our dinner before the firework show. We enjoyed hamburgers straight from the grill, a luscious veggie tray with ranch dip, fresh fruit, and a zesty pasta salad! Delicious!

When dinner was finished it was time to enjoy my favorite part of the holiday... spending the evening at the city park for fireworks! Mom had blanket-claimed our spot for fireworks much earlier in the day. We sat at a new spot this year with some neighborhood friends, right in the center of the park! It was great! Once again, Oliver spent some one-on-one time with his grandma while we explored the booths and carts that were set up for the holiday.

As it started to get darker, we all gathered back at our blankets to await the big show. Oliver fell asleep for a while, and all of the adults visited together in anticipation for the fireworks.

When the firework show started, Ollie woke up right away. We covered his ears with our hands a little bit (since he hated the loud parade sounds so much), but as the firework show went on we realized that he was mesmerized by the lights and sounds! I uncovered his ears after a while, and he just stared wide-eyed at all of the bright flashes of color in the sky.

This year, The Fourth of July showed me how fun holidays can be when you have children. I've always looked forward to sharing holidays with my kids! This year we finally can! I think I probably watched Oliver more than I watched the actual fireworks! I loved seeing him take it all in for the very first time.

The firework show was as grand as ever, and after the show we decided to pick up supplies for homemade ice cream sundaes! I hope this becomes an annual tradition for my family, because it was far more delicious (and cheaper) than the food in the park! We took the long way home to avoid traffic, stopping at the grocery store for ice cream, bananas, sprinkles, waffle cones, chocolate syrup, and more! It made for a late night, but eating our ice cream sundaes was the perfect finish to our summer holiday!

We had another amazing Fourth of July holiday this year, and I'm always a little sad to see how quickly special days like these go by. Summer is in full-swing though, and I'm sure we'll have many more adventures before the season is through!





1 comment:

  1. Such fun 4th of July pictures! I'm so happy it was such a festive day! ❤️πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ’™

    ReplyDelete